Sunday, September 30, 2012

10 Things you probably don't know about me and living with Crohn's disease

I thought I would make a list of things that most people don't know about me and my Crohn's disease.

1. I have a low grade fever about 5 out of 7 days of the week. Normally it starts in the late afternoon, early evening. My eyes will start burning and my energy is instantly gone.

2. I am achy most days as well. You know how your body aches when you are feverish? yeah, that's what I feel a lot.

3. I inject myself with Humira every other Sunday morning. For that whole day, I just mainly sleep as it is impossible to keep my eyes open.

4. I miss having a social life, but I don't miss those people that were just my party friends. Turns out, I don't hear from them at all now that I don't party.

5. I take 28 pills a day. That is 28 between my prescriptions and supplements.

6. My potassium sometimes gets so low that I get intense cramps in my legs and feet, that I have to try to walk off. most of the time this happens in the middle of the night and results in crying. Every time I go to the ER, my potassium is so low, they make me take a giant horse pill *barf*

7. I don't sleep at night, which means during the week, I get hardly any sleep. On average during the week, I sleep about 2-4 hours a night....and that is after taking sleep aids. I take many naps during the day on the weekend.

8. Due to my steroids (Prednisone), and the increasing/decreasing required to find a good dosage for me, I have gained 21 pounds in 2 months. NOT COOL!

9. I now know more about my body, more about side effects of meds, more about Crohn's than I really ever realized I could know.

10. At the age of 34, I feel most days like I have been hit by a truck, but I keep moving along. I have some really bad days and some really good days though.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( that makes me sad! Glad we aren't just party friends! Love you! <3 Mrs Jeanes ;)

Amber Schlaht said...

awww me too Ashley! love you!

KatXoXo said...

This really sucks :(
I hope you keep up the positive outlook though!!

Glitter and Pink said...

nicepost.Just found your blog.New follower.
http://www.abeautifulfeather.com/

Anonymous said...

WOW! Oh my GOODNESS! I'm a new follower, and am so happy I came across this post!
I have suffered GREATLY w/ GI issues since I can remember [probably about 7 or 8 yrs old].
Have had 2 Nissen's done since I was 15, diagnosed w/ Barrett's at 22, & keep getting told that all the problems I continue to have are neither Crohn's related, nor anything else that they can find [at this time].
So happy to have come across your Blog!

Amber Schlaht said...

so glad to have the new followers!

Anonymous said...

I greatly appreciate all the info I've read here. I will spread the word about your blog to other people. Cheers.