Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 9th, 2012

On May 9th, it will be 1 year since I heard those words that would change my life forever, while sitting in the ER with my Mom.

"Mrs. Schlaht, from the CT Scan results, you have what I believe is Crohn's Disease. You will need to see a GI to do further testing ASAP."

Those words hit me hard and put my life into a spin that had yet to slow down.

I have gone through many types of medicines: Pentasa, Prednisone, Potassium, Entocort, Humira, 6mp, and many anti-biotics.

I have learned to give myself injections.

I have had my first over night hospital stay, which last 3 nights/4 days.

I have been to the ER more times than I can count.

I have had blood work done 2-3 times a month.

I have had multiple testing done.

I have had complications due to the drugs: sinus surgery; 3 root canals and crowns; nausea; vomiting; bleeding; pain - physical and emotional.

I have had partial obstructions.

And most recent, it was confirmed that my stricture in my ileum is scar tissue. We had hoped for inflammation instead, but there was very little.

I have some more testing on the 20th of this month, and then my follow up appointment with my GI on the 30th. From there we will determine the next step. Re-sectioning surgery is VERY VERY VERY high on that list.

It's been a rough year for myself and for Ben, as well as the rest of my family.

I have become an admin on a great FB group. IBD Journeys http://www.facebook.com/groups/ibdjourneys/

I have made some amazing friends that share my same disease of IBD.

I have done the Take Steps for Crohn's and Colitis Walk.

I have learned a lot about myself and my strengths.

Please continue to pray as we pursue the next step in this process.

Thank you to everyone who has been an amazing support system for myself and others with IBD.


No comments: